Heating the Grill
A step-by-step guide on how to heat your charcoal BBQ:
- Make sure you place your BBQ on a level surface, away from any structures or trees.
- Open the air vents.
- Remove the lid and grill from your BBQ, pile the charcoal briquetes in a pyramid shape in the center of the charcoal grill/bowl. Make sure you use enough.
- Sprinkle lighter liquid on to the charcoal, make sure all the briquetes are coated. Carefully light the coals with a long match. Keep the lid of the BBQ until the coals are hot.
- Heat the coals for 20 to 25 minutes, by this time the charcoals should be covered with a layer of white ash.
- Spread the charcoal, covering the bottom of the grill/bowl, do this with tongs.
- Coat your grill with some vegetable oil to prevent sticking of the food, place the grill on your BBQ (use mits), and allow the grill to heat before placing food on it.
- Enjoy your meal!
The best way to light charcoal is with a charcoal chimney that you can pick up at most any hardware store.
The advantage is:
- It works fast.
- It doesn't add anything (chemical) to the fire that you wouldn't want to effect your food.
- It enables you to get more coals going while you are cooking.
Otherwise, buy a good quality ignition fluid and follow instructions on the packaging.
- Don't add any fluid when fire is burning!
- Open the air vents completely.